ECHA has launched a public consultation on five applications for authorisation covering six uses of:
- dichromium tris(chromate) (EC 246-356-2; CAS 24613-89-6) used for chemical conversion coating applications by aerospace and defence companies and their associated supply chains;
- strontium chromate (EC 232-142-6; CAS 7789-06-2) used in primers applied by aerospace and defence companies and their associated supply chains;
- pentazinc chromate octahydroxide (EC 256-418-0; CAS 49663-84-5) used in formulation of mixtures; and used in wash primer, fuel tank primer and aluminised primer for the purpose of corrosion protection in aeronautic applications;
- chromium trioxide (EC 215-607-8; CAS 1333-82-0) used in functional chrome plating of piston rods for automotive and rail applications;
- 1,2-dichloroethane (EDC) (EC 203-458-1; CAS 107-06-2) used as a swelling agent during the sulfonation reaction of crosslinked polystyrene beads in the manufacture of ion exchange resins for purification of radioactive waste.